The ability to swim is a very important life skill.
It is a requirement of the National Curriculum for PE that children are taught to swim in primary school. It is our aim that all children will be able to swim confidently by the end of their time with us.
Children attend swimming lessons as part of the PE curriculum from Year 4 and travel to Tottenham Green swimming pool by bus where they are taught in ability groups led by fully qualified ASA level 2 instructors.
The lessons are 30 minutes in duration and each pupil receives a minimum of 32 weeks of lessons divided over 3 academic years.
Schools are now required to publish their swimming achievement data. You can view ours here.
All pupils will be taught to:
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- Use a range of strokes effectively such as front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke
- Perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situation
The swimming timetable is as follows:
|Autumn 1||Autumn 2||Spring 1||Spring 2||Summer 1||Summer 2|
|Year 6||Year 5||Year 5||Year 5||Year 4||Year 4|
Children will need to wear the following for their swimming lessons:
- All children must wear swimming hats
- Boys swimwear must be short and close fitting (i.e. Trunks or Speedos, no shorts)
- Girls swimwear to be a one piece costume, no bikinis
- Swimwear worn specifically for religious issues must be close fitting and kept for swimming sessions only
- Any goggles worn must fit properly